Capes are for flying. I don't... I don't fly.

January 30, 2011

I've decided to review a film. 


You heard it here first, I woke up today and thought, "why not? People deserve to be notified of good films." And today's good film was one I actually watched about two nights ago and it was a rare gem indeed.  Defendor and yes that is correct, with an 'or' ending, is to put it bluntly - AWESOME. Now I do not use this word lightly and whatever connotations you may place with this word, would fit this film as if they were made to be together.


I haven't got a sparrow's clue how this jewel swooped under my radar in 2009 when it was released. Written and directed by Peter Stebbings and starring Woody Harrelson,  it was a travesty that I have only now found it lurking in the dark corners of the superhero genre. 


From the get-go the comedy introduces Arthur Poppington who to be PC we will say has learning difficulties - I wouldn't say he's slow, he's just far too honest for his own good - who sets out to become a vigilante, fighting the criminal underworld that he has learnt so much about in his comics. Arthur's only superpower is courage which leaves him at somewhat of a disadvantage as his perfected Batman/Spiderman/Superman voice coaxes villains into his marble and lime juice booby traps. Fighting drug barons and rescuing a prostitute, the Defendor, or as he is better known by the police Arthur Poppington, is a character who is oblivious to the deep waters he has dived into. Forging a friendship with a teenage girl who knows the drug barons on a personal level, he infiltrates their headquarters and ignores the warnings from the local police, standing out from the crowd and making a difference. Although heart warming, this film does have some sad moments but they are so well blended with the comical writing that you are left not knowing whether to laugh or cry.


For the first time in ages I have found a film that is 10/10. I can't explain it much more than that without spoiling it, but I laughed pretty much from start to finish. Highly recommended to anyone who has the muscles to smile.




I'm even considering making my own Defendor inspired costume - now to find the Duck tape.

You Might Also Like

0 comments