The Fear by C.L.Taylor

March 24, 2018

I had another reading drought at the beginning of March which saw me starting numerous books only to abandon them or get distracted by a zillion other things. Luckily a train ride home from my parents' house at the start of the week meant that I had very little phone signal and my Kindle was fully charged and loaded with NetGalley goodies. I selected The Fear on a whim, readying myself for another book that wouldn't keep me focused. I was wrong! I've read C.L. Taylor's thriller in four days, every commute and spare moment I have been tearing through this dark but ultimately satisfying read.

Focusing on the disturbing topic of grooming, The Fear is split into multiple narratives of the three women who are immediately impacted by manipulative Mike Hughes. Lou Wandsworth was his first victim over eighteen years ago. The passing of Lou's father sees her return to her hometown and confronted by the man who abused her, living as a free man after spending five years in prison. Thirteen year old Chloe is his current victim and Lou tries to intervene with catastrophic consequences. I won't mention the third woman because it's pivotal to the plot and I've gotten better at blurting out spoilers!


Although the subject matter is uncomfortable and disturbing, C.L. Taylor has delivered a controversially compelling story. The female characters transition seamlessly from vulnerability to defiance, and the power shifts between the sexes flip so quickly you are never sure how its going to end. There are frequent moments of genius that just have you silently applauding. I could definitely see this being adapted for TV, the tension throughout is palpable and C.L. Taylor pauses and switches narrators at perfect times to keep you on the edge of your seat. If you enjoyed Fiona Barton's The Widow then you will love this book!


The Fear is published by Avon and is out now.

You Might Also Like

0 comments