I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

July 20, 2011

Reviewing a book by Terry Pratchett is like walking into a garden centre and telling the head gardener that roses are really quite wonderful. It doesn't really need to be done. Everything he writes is literally (and I use this word in the most literal sense) magical. So for that reason this review is purely self-indulgent as it gives me a chance to reflect on what I liked most about a book that has kept my commute lively.

For starters this book is aimed at young adults, which doesn't make it that much different from his other books only that perhaps Tiffany Aching is a bit younger than some of Terry Pratchett's other characters. The action is crammed in like pickles in a jar and truth be told I did snort on a few occasions. Yes, folks it really is that funny and it is such a relief to find a book that doesn't take itself too seriously.

As for the Nac Mac Feegles which gave a stonkingly good performance throughout the magical tale, I would like to see a book dedicated entirely to them and their way of life. If you have yet to meet the Nac Mac Feegles, fear not for they are a friendly folk, that is if you are not accidently digging up the mound under which they live in the mountains. Hearty drinkers and raucous fighters, these tough guys make the story what it is - a story of companionship, loyalty, love and above all MAGIC.



I would recommend this to anyone looking to keep a certain someone entertained through what looks to be a few very rainy weeks of summer.

You Might Also Like

0 comments