The Radleys by Matt Haig 2/8

July 12, 2011

Well this was the second book I read from the TV Book Club list and I have to say I was more than a tad disappointed. Bear in mind that I am a ginormous fan of Gothic literature and vampires pretty much float my boat. But recently I feel there's been a smidgen more than overkill (excuse the pun) on this genre.

 The Radleys is great if it is the first book about vampires you have ever read. If, however, you grew up worried that Buffy and Angel might never be together, or found yourself lured into the Stephanie Meyer/ L.J Smith debate, torn between pale and sparkly or pale and dishy, then this might not be the book for you.

 It's been done before folks, and no doubt it will be done again.

I loved Being Human  on BBC3 and this felt like Matt Haig had watched it and then moved it from Bristol to yet another suburb. I struggled to find the humour and having a family of abstinent vampires is surely just a rewrite of the popular veggie Cullen family.

I think perhaps I was the wrong audience for this book. I was a tough cookie to please and unfortunately this book did not so much as float my boat as leave me grounded on a fairly nondescript sandbank.

I'm giving it a 5/10 for trying to compete in a vampire infested market.

You Might Also Like

0 comments