The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories

July 14, 2015

I have been dawdling. Two hundred and seven pages have taken me two months to read. I’ve even written that down in letters rather than numbers so I can take my time. The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan has stopped me in my tracks.

Marina Keegan was an American author, playwright, and journalist. She is best known for her essay "The Opposite of Loneliness," which sent the internet into overdrive with over 1.4 million hits throughout ninety-eight countries.

Marina was killed in a tragic car crash just five days after she graduated magna cum laude from Yale University.

She was 22.

That is why I have been dragging my feet.

The book in itself is split into fictional short stories and essays that Marina mostly wrote whilst at Yale. I fell in love with her writing, her dry sense of humour, her lively and bright voice and her sharp observational eye for detail. Every page oozes vibrant colours and vivid descriptions.

I wanted more. I want to read more of her writing. That’s why I was so not wanting to finish the book because I knew I couldn’t just tweet her and ask her what’s she’s working on now.


This book is not just a tribute. As the New York Times called it, it is a triumph. Marina was destined to be a bestseller and she is. The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories is her echo and I am so glad and grateful to her family for allowing it to be published so we can all hear her sing.




You Might Also Like

0 comments