Book Surgeon

March 08, 2011

Today I had possibly the best email ever. It was a link to an artist's website, and the artist was called Brian Dettmer. He's from Chicago and his sculptures are made from books. I don't mean that he builds towers out of books - no be cuts intricate patterns into books, staying true to their content and unveiling hidden worlds using a scalpel and tweezers. I found it mesmerising just scrolling through the gallery on his website. I can't imagine how much these cost but he exhibits his artwork throughout America and Europe so I'd imagine he's doing pretty well. The hours it must take him to work out the layers and to build up the structures are simply mind-boggling. 


Here's a couple pictures of his work and do visit his website if you fancy being boggled.

You Might Also Like

0 comments